Thursday, March 6, 2008

my uncle's a lawyer

doesn't everyone have an uncle who's a lawyer?

anyway, I decided that if I come to write about what I've done each day to knock stuff off my to-do list then I will have to actually get some stuff done, right?

I think it's important to have someone at home who has complete access to my finances so that if something goes wonky, I wont be stuck in some weird place with no way to get at my money. I decided that would be my friend Geoff, whom I trust completely. I thought that I would just have him put on my account and that would be easy. Then people have started telling me that I need to arrange to give him power of attorney and file papers and such things or it could go all wrong just when I need it to work the most. That also brought up questions of whether I have made my will in case something goes more wrong than having him wire me money can fix.

But my affairs are so simple. One bank account, no bills to pay, if I die and I happen to have any money, just give it to my brother. That seems simple to me. Then I realized that if I had a more sophisticated understanding of the way that world works, I would likely not have one simple bank account and still, at 35 being filling out the 1040EZ cause it's easy. like it says.

A friend of mine was concerned enough about it to offer to pay for one hour of legal fees for me to make sure everything was in order and I was about to take him up on it but suddenly today it dawned on me, my uncle is a lawyer! Sweet! He is even a retired lawyer who has spent the last ten years traveling the world. Even sweeter! He will know the answers to these types of questions. So I sent off an email to him today asking his advice about how to make sure that everything is in order in case something goes wrong. I'm glad to have someone "in my pocket" who knows these types of things and will give me the best advice. That is lucky.

Also, my mom is a nurse so I asked her about the possibility of getting vaccines at wholesale and having her administer them instead of having to pay for an office visit. Twice. She is checking into that for me. So, again, lucky to have people in my life in the right positions.

So that is what I got done today. Not too much, but at least it's something. And I am again profoundly grateful for and to the people in my life.

1 comment:

  1. "Then I realized that if I had a more sophisticated understanding of the way that world works, I would likely not have one simple bank account and still, at 35 being filling out the 1040EZ cause it's easy. like it says." OMG, Maryjane -- this made me smile so hard I about cracked my face. The problem with the world isn't that you, at 35, are still filing the EZ form --- it's that the rest of the world isn't!

    ReplyDelete